Our annual general meeting of parents where we report back to parents, accept new Parent Council members and elect our office bearers takes please this week. Here are the papers for the meeting.
Trinity Academy Parent Council’s constitution has been in place for a number of years, since the Parent Council was first set up around 2006. The Parent Council has reviewed the constitution and is suggesting that a few changes be made. These are explained here.
The proposed changes will be considered at the AGM on 9 October and, if they are agreed at that meeting, the constitution will be amended.
- The original constitution used the terms “Parent Forum” and “Parent Council” so we are proposing adding definitions of these terms to the constitution to make it more easy to understand.
- We are proposing some changes about membership of the Parent Council. These will clarify that members of the Parent Council would be selected at the annual meeting of parents and would be selected for one year only. Co-opted members would also be invited to join the Parent Council for 1 year only. To be selected for membership of the Parent Council, we are proposing that parents/carers need only “inform” the Parent Council Chair rather than have to send a letter. This means that nominations for membership can be made ahead of an annual meeting and also on the night. We are also proposing that if a member does not attend 3 consecutive meetings without reason/apologies they will be deemed to have retired from the Parent Council.
- We are proposing removing some of the original references to nominations being made to the headteacher which were only required for the first Parent Council when there was no Chair to receive nominations.
- We are proposing clarifying the voting arrangements at Parent Council meetings. Only members would have a vote and decisions will be passed by a simple majority of Parent Council members present at the meeting. The Chair would have a casting vote which would be used in the event of a tie.
- We propose clarifying that the Secretary must take minutes of meetings.
If you have any questions about these proposed changes, you can let us know before the annual meeting on 9 October by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Or come along on 9 October to take part in the discussion.